It’s exciting to announce that daily flights are once again being offered at the West Kootenay Regional Airport in Castlegar. This month, Central Mountain Air, a regional airline based in Smithers, British Columbia, started offering trips to Vancouver every day. Flights will depart YVR-South terminal at noon and arrive at YCG at 1:15pm and they will depart Castelgar at 1:45pm and arrive at Vancouver’s south terminal at 3pm. Free taxi vouchers will be available to the main terminal at Vancouver International Airport.
This marks the first time Central Mountain Air is regularly flying into Castlegar and the company’s CEO, Bob Cummings, says they are “committed to enabling economic recovery in the region and safely connecting Castlegar and the surrounding community with relatives and friends.” To that end, there are a number of safety procedures in place both for the the airport and aircraft and they are listed below.
To book a flight with Central Mountain Air visit flycma.com.
Castlegar Mayor Bruno Tassone (left) and Central Mountain Air CEO Bob Cummings
Central Mountain Air issued an announcement explaining the necessary health precautions it is taking with its flights. They include:
- Extensively cleaning the aircraft nightly and after each flight, using an electro-static sprayer in the cabin.
- Sanitation kits with masks and wipes are available on every flight.
- Social distancing measure are practiced while boarding and deplaning. Since the aircraft doesn’t have middle seats, passengers are not seated side-by-side.
- Contact-free online check-in is available.
- Face coverings are required at all times. Exceptions include children under two or persons with an underlying medical condition or disability.
As for the West Kootenay Regional Airport, these are the precautions being taken there:
- Everyone entering the terminal must wear a mask and sanitize their hands.
- Passengers are requested to goodbye to friends and family outside the terminal.
- Arriving passengers are advised to collect their baggage and immediately exit the building.
- More than 8 hand sanitizer stations have been added.
- Extra space has been provided to support physical distancing.
- Plexiglass barriers and COVIID-19 signage have been installed.
- Sanitization and cleaning protocols have been increased.
To celebrate the start of its regular, daily flights to Castlegar, Central Mountain Air is offering a 10% discount when passengers book a flight at flycma.com. Simply use promo code KOOTS10 at checkout before October 31, 2020 The company is also offering the chance to win a free flight by filling out a survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WKRAirport.
The West Kootenay Regional Airport is conveniently located a 10-minute drive from downtown Castlegar. For more information about its location and the other health and safety precautions it has implemented, wkrairport.ca.