Travelling To Castlegar
The City of Castlegar in British Columbia has found a balance of welcoming visitors back to the area while keeping our communities safe. We want travel to get back to normal soon and are staying positive that by respecting the health guidelines put in place by the province, we will be able to explore like we once did. When you arrive in the West Kootenays, be sure to stop in at the Castlegar Visitor Centre where the staff will be available to help answer your questions.
Here is what we are doing to keep you safe:
- All accommodation, restaurants, shops, and stores are implementing provincially approved guidelines for cleaning and physical distancing to keep staff and patrons safe.
- All activity providers have created additional safety measures as well as implemented provincially approved guidelines for cleaning and physical distancing to keep staff and visitors safe.
- Due to limited space and modified group sizes, please call ahead to activity providers to see if there are additional items you are required to bring in advance of your trip.
Plan to make SMART decisions:
- S – Stay home or self-quarantine if you are not feeling well. Consider rescheduling your trip.
- M – Measure your physical distancing (6 ft). Consider this when hiking, biking, or enjoying outdoor public spaces.
- A – Appropriate behaviour is essential. Wear a MASK in ALL indoor public spaces. Wash your hands frequently and cough or sneeze into your sleeve.
- R – Respect others and protocols. There are new ways of doing businesses and participating in activities. Be sure to make reservations and Be KIND!
- T – Together we will beat COVID-19 through SMART decisions. Enjoy our OPEN spaces and leave no trace.
Other links for reference.
- Health Link BC: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-feature/coronavirus-disease-covid-19
- Interior Health Authority: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/covid-19/
- Kootenay Rockies Tourism: https://www.kootenayrockies.com/know-before-you-go/
- Destination BC: https://www.destinationbc.ca/news/coronavirus-update/
- Destination Canada: https://www.destinationcanada.com/en/coronavirus-updates
It’s always a good idea to check the DriveBC Road Conditions before your trip.
Flights From Vancouver
When travelling through the region, please respect the nature, the places, and the people. Follow these guidelines:
Hiking & Camping Safety
A Complete Guide To Winter Activities
Can you and your family spot these 28 species of birds in Castlegar this winter?
Whether you prefer skate skiing for fitness, or relaxed nordic skiing through untouched snow, Castlegar has the best cross-country skiing in the Kootenays.
Castlegar is equidistant from three ski hills, two of which were awarded best downhill resorts in North America. Situated in British Columbia’s beautiful Columbia Valley, Castlegar is an easy 40-minute drive from Red Mountain Resort in Rossland, Whitewater Ski Resort near Nelson and the Salmo Skil Hill.
There are many reasons sledding is a popular winter activity in Castlegar. Here's everything you need to know about snowmobiling in Castlegar.